By SUNIL Sonkar
New Delhi, April 05 — India may get access to American national David Coleman Headley, accused of plotting the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, within 30 days of sending a letter of request, indicated government on Monday in New Delhi.
Today evening a meeting was held between Home Minister P Chidambaram and US Ambassador Timothy Roemer to discuss the matter.
After the meeting Roemer said, “This is an issue that is being taken up at the highest levels of the US government day and night constantly.”
India has been seeking access to the Pakistani-origin American to get more details of his activities in the Mumbai attacks in 2008 and also the plans for further strikes in India.
A lot of information has been shared by US with India based on the interrogation. However, US has so far refused India’s access to Headley due to legal difficulties.
Recently Headley pleaded guilty before a US court in Chicago. According to the plea agreement, David Headley won’t be allowed extradition to Pakistan and Denmark and there will be no trial for him. The plea agreement said, “The defendant shall not be extradited to the Republic of India, the Kingdom of Denmark, or the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, respectively, for any offenses for which he has been convicted in accordance with this plea.”
Roemer further said, “I just had a very successful meeting with the Home Minister where I talked about working very closely for cooperation with government of India and government of US on counter-terrorism issues.”