Mumbai, July 14 –A chlorine gas leak in Sewri area of south Mumbai has killed at least three people in the wee hours on Wednesday.
More than 60 people have been admitted to JJ Hospital due to the gas leaked from cylinders and six of them are in critical condition. Fourteen of the hospitalised are college students. They inhaled chlorine gas near the Bombay Port Trust.
Chief Fire Officer Uday Tatkare said, “It’s a huge cylinder down below various other cylinders (from which the gas is leaking). The cylinder is among various cylinders seized by custom authorities. While removing other cylinders, we are taking care that there is no leakage.”
The chlorine leakage was reported at 4.00 am. People in the area have been evacuated said official.
Tatkare added, “Following the complaint, our men rushed to the spot to plug the leakage. However, four of our men also took ill and have been rushed to nearby hospitals.”
According to Dean of JJ Hospital P P Lahane, sixty affected people came to the hospital.
He said, “Six of them are in a serious condition and have reported burning sensation and respiratory problems. They have been admitted to the ICU.”